THE ADOPTION PROCESS
We are committed to placing our dogs in to great family homes that will last through their lifetime. Our goal is to match our wonderful dogs with the perfect family, and we know your goal is to find the perfect pet. Our adoption process will help us determine the best match for your family and lifestyle. This may or may not be the dog you've picked out from our Adoptables List, but we certainly encourage you to let us know which dog or dogs peak your interest!
Please read through our Adoption Policies below and be sure that you are ready to make the commitment to not just adopting a dog, but adopting a bully breed dog. There can be many challenges to owning certain breeds. For pit bull type dogs in particular there are many misconceptions and much discrimination.
Our adoption policies were created to ensure the happiness and well-being of everyone involved and, most importantly, for the safety of our dogs. We may make exceptions to certain policies on a case by case basis.
1. We do not ship dogs. If you are out of state, you must be willing and able to come in to the Vegas area to meet your potential new pet. If you have another pet, you'll need to bring him/her with you, and we really would like everyone who lives in the household to come in because these are people who will also be around the dog. We also will need to make sure we have a reliable rescue contact in your area to assist with the home visit.
2. You must be at least 21 years of age to adopt.
3. We require a valid driver's license showing your address as the same one entered on the Adoption Application. (Note - If you've just moved here, then your license should show your most recent previous address, also entered on the Application).
4. You must submit verifiable references, such as your employer, a co-worker, clergy person or family friend. Please do not use your spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend, mother, father or child as a reference. Also, please inform the people you're using as a reference that they will be contacted by us and to please respond. We cannot process the application if your references don't get back to us!
5. If you've owned a pet within the last 5 years, please list the Veterinarian info even if it is out of state.
6. Contrary to popular belief, not all dogs know how to swim - therefore, if you have a swimming pool, we need to pool test any dogs that we're unsure about. If you are adopting a puppy, your pool MUST be fenced and the bars of the fence must be close enough to prevent the puppy from accessing the pool unsupervised.
7. Regarding other pets in the home:
- In general, we prefer opposite gender placements. So if you have a male dog, we encourage you to consider a female and vice versa. This is one of the "flexible" policies, as we do have MALE dogs that get along great with other other male dogs as well as females. For the most part, females are best paired with a male.
- If you have a cat or small dog and especially if you have multiples of either -- most of our bully dogs are not going to be the best playmate for your shih tzu or kitty. We do usually have a few dogs with little to no prey drive, but in general our dogs are best placed with one other medium to large breed dog. Remember even if our dog is friendly with small dogs, because they are big and sometimes a little overzealous in play, he/she can easily hurt a small dog or cat by accident.
8. We require a home visit prior to any adoption being finalized. The home visit is not done to see if you've done dishes today or made the bed, we use this time to talk to you and your family about the pet you applied to adopt, answer questions, give advice, etc. We honestly do not look in your medicine cabinet, but we do want to see the backyard and that is only to make sure that there isn't something that needs attention that may have escaped your notice and to give suggestions if needed for the safety of the pet.
9. All pets are *spayed/neutered, **vaccinated and microchipped prior to adoption. *Puppies which are too young for the surgery may be taken home with a Spay/Neuter Clause in the Adoption Contract. **Vaccinations are age appropriate, for young puppies you will receive a schedule for vaccinations which may not have been given yet due to age.
10. Our standard adoption fees are as follows:
- Up to 12 months of age: $200.00
- From + 12 months up to 7 years: $150.00
- 7+ yrs of age): $100.00
- *Seniors for Seniors: $75.00 *Applies to adoptions of senior pets to senior households.
The Adoption Fee may be paid by check or cash. The Adoption Fee is paid in full at the time the Adoption Contract is signed. Returned checks incur a $35.00 bank charge, and will be cause for denying the application and taking back the pet.
11. All approved adopters must sign a legally binding Adoption Contract. The Adoption Contract stipulates, among other things, that the pet MUST be returned to SNBBR if the adoption does not work out for any reason. You are not allowed to give the pet away, adopt it to someone else, sell it on Craigslist or bring it to the shelter.
Still with us? Great! Click Here for the Adoption Application